Rhinoplasty, commonly known as a nose job, is a cosmetic surgery procedure that can usually be performed in less than two hours in the operating room. However, the recovery process following the surgery will require a considerable amount of time to ensure that safe and desirable results are established. Recovery should not be taken lightly, and the surgeon’s instructions should be diligently followed.
Dr. Eric Yavrouian is a facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon with significant experience in procedures such as rhinoplasty. At the time of pre-op consultation, Dr. Yavrouian will explain various aspects of the procedure, including its estimated recovery. He provides rhinoplasty to patients in Glendale, Pasadena, Burbank, Greater Los Angeles CA, and surrounding locations.
Planning for Recovery
Advance planning for the post-op recovery phase will allow the patient to be completely comfortable once the rhinoplasty cosmetic surgery procedure is over. To ensure smoother recovery, the patient may consider the following advance steps:
- Arrange for someone to drive the patient back home following the surgery.
- Have a family member, friend or a caretaker to assist at home for the first two to three days after the surgery.
- Apply for leave for at least one week from the workplace to allow for safer healing at home after the surgery.
- Store a supply of cold compresses at home, which will required immediately after surgery to minimize swelling.
- Complete any pressing household tasks in advance so as to minimize physical strain following rhinoplasty.
Tips for Faster Recovery
Success in nose reshaping surgery will depend to an extent on how diligently the patient adheres to the post-operative recovery instructions given by the surgeon. Facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon Dr. Yavrouian receives patients from Glendale, Pasadena, Burbank, Greater Los Angeles CA, and nearby areas for rhinoplasty.
- Drink plenty of fluids during recovery to stay hydrated.
- Use cold compresses regularly in the first two to three days to minimize swelling.
- Take adequate rest, but perform short walks and light activities at home from the second day of surgery.
- Refrain from performing strenuous activities and lifting of heavy weights for a month.
- Get in touch with the surgeon in case of any unusual symptoms such as acute, persistent pain in the incision area, pus in the wounds, or high fever.
Headache, nosebleeds and bruising and swelling in the incision areas will be commonly experienced in the first two to three days following rhinoplasty. The surgeon may prescribe pain medications to keep the patient comfortable through this phase.
For the first 24 hours, the head should be rested in an elevated position to support healing. The patient must not blow the nose for the first few days to avoid strain on the incisions.
Nasal packing and sutures will be removed in the second week after rhinoplasty. Mild swelling will linger for several weeks, but bruising will subside from the second week. Patients can usually return to their normal activities and work after a week to 10 days.
For more information about treatments and procedures by Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon, Dr. Eric J. Yavrouian, serving patients in and around Glendale, Pasadena, Burbank and the Greater Los Angeles, CA area call 818-241-2150 or click here to contact him for a consultation.